Chainsaws are an invaluable tool that can help you work through tree felling, pruning or limb cutting jobs in no time. However, they are also perhaps the single most dangerous tool you can own, meaning safety precautions are essential.
Most people understand the need to wear ear, eye and hand protection – but a good pair of chainsaw chaps can help protect you from one of the most common chainsaw injuries, those to the legs. If you are interested in keeping your legs out of the way of your chainsaw’s teeth but you don’t know which pair to go for, here’s our guide to the best chainsaw chaps.
Best Chainsaw Chaps Reviews 2020
1. Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps With Pocket (Our Top Recommended)
These apron-style chainsaw chaps from Forester are designed to keep the front of your legs protected in the event of an accident. They meet all the necessary safety requirements and will help prevent the chainsaw cutting into your leg if the blade comes into contact with them.
They are oil and water resistant, making them suitable for working in challenging or dirty conditions, and they are available in a range of different colors, allowing you to choose dark colors or high visibility, as required.
They also feature a large pocket that is ideal for carrying essential tools.
One negative is that they don’t provide coverage in the crotch area – although the most common chainsaw injuries are to the legs. The belt also doesn’t do a perfect job of holding them up, and you might be better improvising your own belt.
Overall, a great budget-friendly option that will help keep you safe while you work – a highly recommended product.
- Affordable price – inexpensive way to keep yourself protected
- Meet all relevant safety requirements – including ASTM F1897-2014 39JY
- Oil and water resistant – suitable for challenging conditions
- Large side pocket – useful for storing spare tools etc.
- Available in several colors – choose the most suitable for your needs
- Less protection in the crotch area – protects front of legs only
- Belt not 100% effective – doesn’t always hold them up perfectly
2. Forester Arborist ProChaps Apron Chainsaw Chaps
This is another pair of chainsaw chaps from Forester. They feature heavy-duty construction with eight-layer WTS-knitted nylon/polyester and an outer shell that is made of 1,000 Denier Cordura nylon, making them suitable for even the most challenging environments.
They meet all the required safety standards, helping keep you safe in the event of an accident. They are designed to protect the front of your legs, the most common area for chainsaw mishaps.
When attached, they also allow for plenty of mobility with only minimal restriction of movement, an important consideration for comfortable and safe chainsaw operation.
On the downside, the straps can occasionally come loose, and you may find you need to readjust them from time to time. Also, similar to the Forester chaps above, they offer minimal protection in the crotch area – although this is a much less common area for accidents.
These are a great pick for anyone looking for an affordable safety solution for chainsaw work. If you need chaps that will help keep your legs safe while you work, this pair is well worth a look.
- Allow good levels of movement – restriction is minimal
- Meet relevant safety requirements – certified to help keep you protected
- Heavy-duty product – tough and well-made
- Offer good leg protection – good coverage of the front of the legs
- Very reasonable price – inexpensive for a quality product
- Straps can come loose – need to be readjusted from time to time
- Limited crotch protection – only protect front of legs
3. Husqvarna Technical Apron Wrap Chap
These chainsaw chaps from Husqvarna are designed to give you as much protection as possible while you work. They wrap around your lower legs, providing protection for your calves as well as the front of your legs.
They are made of high-quality materials and conform to all the relevant safety requirements, including ASTM, ANSI and OSHA. They are also UL-tested. This means that if the worst happens, you have the best chance of escaping uninjured or with a much less serious injury.
They are also very easy to put on and take off – and are equipped with numerous straps and buckles to help you find the perfect fit.
On the downside, they are heavy to wear – although this is because they are designed to keep you safe, and you have to expect a certain amount of weight.
They are also quite hot to wear. They may become uncomfortable during the summer months, but this is something most people will be willing to put up with for the peace of mind they give you.
Another recommended product if you value safety while you work.
- Built of solid, tough material – will help protect you in the event of an accident
- Meet all relevant safety standards – including ASTM, ANSI and OSHA
- Wrap-around style – offer some protection to the back of your legs too
- Easy to put on or take off – practical and comfortable to wear
- Multiple straps – helps fit them snugly to your legs
- Hot to wear – although worth it for the protection
- On the heavy side – will definitely notice you’re wearing them
4. Husqvarna 531309565 Chain Saw Apron Chaps
If you like the idea of using equipment from a well-known and trusted brand but the wraparound Husqvarna chaps above seem a little too bulky, these lighter and airier chaps from the same company might be worth checking out.
They are made of strong and resistant materials and conform to all the relevant safety standards, giving you confidence that your legs are well protected.
They are open backed, allowing your legs to breathe more than in some other versions, and they also give you a good amount of movement, allowing you to work comfortably and naturally.
One negative is that they are only available in dark blue – there is no high-visibility option available that will let you be seen. Furthermore, they lack pockets, meaning they don’t have anywhere convenient for you to carry small tools.
These chaps are a great pick for anyone who doesn’t want anything too bulky – and at such a reasonable price point, they are an inexpensive option that will help keep you safe while working with a chainsaw.
- Affordable price – not too expensive for a quality product
- Comfortable to wear – don’t restrict movement too much
- Relatively cool – not as hot as many other chainsaw chaps
- Made of tough, high-quality material – designed to give you maximum protection
- Conform to all relevant safety standards – tested and reliable
- Only available in blue – no high visibility options
- Lack pockets – nowhere convenient to carry tools
5. Safety Chainsaw Chaps – Logging Tools Chainsaw Safety Gear With Pocket
These chainsaw chaps from Redneck Convent are designed to be simple and effective. They are made from highly tough and durable 1200 Denier Oxford Polyester, conform to all the relevant safety requirements and will keep you as safe as possible while you work.
They are oil and water resistant, meaning they are suitable for wearing in any conditions, and they are built to be comfortable to wear. They are easy to put on or take off, making them a highly practical piece of safey protective gear.
The fact that they have an open-backed design also helps with ventilation, keeping you cooler when working in hot weather.
They also give you plenty of mobility – there is very little restriction of movement when you wear them.
One small gripe we have is that they are only available in high visibility orange, with no other color options. While they are intended for safety rather than fashion, some people might prefer to have other choices for the color.
The buckle also seems to be made of slightly inferior materials to the rest of the product, but this is only a minor issue.
Overall, a high-quality pair of chaps with a reasonable price tag that will give you the best chance of escaping serious injury if you have an accident with your chainsaw.
- Made of high-quality protective material – 1200 Denier Oxford Polyester
- Oil and water resistant – ideal even in tougher environments
- Comfortable to wear – made for mobility
- Meet all the relevant safety requirements – certified to help keep you safe
- Not too hot – open back for ventilation
- Buckle made of slightly inferior material – lower standard than rest of product
- Only available in high visibility orange – no other color options
6. Jonsered Protective Apron Chaps
If you are looking for a low-cost safety option to help keep your legs protected while using your chainsaw, this pair of chaps from Jonsered could be another option worth considering.
They meet all the necessary safety requirements and are made of tough protective materials. They include a 600 Denier shell, one layer of Rope-Mali and four layers of Tekwarp protective cloth on the front and sides.
The length is adjustable, allowing you to find just the right fit for you – and they also include a handy tool pocket that is ideal for carrying around the small tools you might need when out in the field.
The only real downside is that there are no color options – if you need a high visibility pair of chainsaw chaps, you will have to look elsewhere since these are only available in black.
Also, there is no crotch protection – but this is common because the crotch area is not somewhere that is considered at high risk of injury.
Overall, a great choice if you want safety and peace of mind but you don’t want to break the bank to get them.
- Inexpensive option – at the lower end of the price scale
- Meets all relevant safety requirements – certified to protect against chainsaws
- Made of tough materials – made to keep you safe and designed to last
- Include tool pocket – practical for carrying small tools
- Adjustable length – helps ensure the perfect fit
- No crotch protection – although not the most at-risk area
- No high visibility option – only available in black
7. LABONVILLE Premium Chainsaw Chaps
For those who don’t mind paying a little extra for a high-quality American-made product, these Labonville chaps could be just what you are looking for. They meet all the relevant safety requirements, giving you good levels of protection in the event of an accident.
They are constructed of extremely tough protective materials including 1000 Denier nylon Cordura and a 5-ply Kevlar and polyester blend. When the chainsaw “bites”, this is pulled into the mechanism, slowing and stopping the chain to keep you safe.
They are lightweight and comfortable to wear and feature an adjustable waist that can accommodate anything up to 48”. When you have them on, you hardly notice them, and they give you maximum movement and mobility.
One of the drawbacks is the price since they are among the more expensive chainsaw chaps on the market – although you expect to pay more for quality and peace of mind. They are also only available in one color, so not suitable if you want something more inconspicuous.
All in all, another good safety option and worth checking out if you are looking for a reliable pair of chaps that will help keep you safe while operating chainsaws.
- Comply with all necessary safety regulations – UL-classified and OSHA-compliant
- Made of high-quality protective materials – quickly stop the blade to prevent injury
- Made in the USA – quality American-made product
- Lightweight – comfortable to wear and don’t restrict movement
- Adjustable waist – can fit sizes up to 48”
- More expensive than some other options – although very high quality
- No color options – orange is the only color available
An essential piece of protective equipment
Some people might think that chainsaw accidents only happen to “other people”, but the truth is, they can happen to anybody at any moment. The only sensible option it to wear all the correct safety gear – and that should include a high-quality pair of chainsaw chaps. If you are looking for the best chainsaw chaps, any of the products in our review will do the job well.