You surely know that your grass needs the best lawn fertilizer to grow healthy and lush. It is actually a necessary food supplement for your grass even though the soil in the region where you live is quite good. The purpose of fertilizing your lawn is to provide essential nutrients to the ground, effective pest control throughout the year, and to boost the well-developed root system of your plants.
The crucial thing you should take care of is to provide a correct ratio of primary nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, and enough oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon as well. Also, don’t forget secondary micronutrients such as calcium, manganese, iron, cobalt, copper, zinc, chlorine, nickel, boron, and molybdenum which won’t affect the soil, but will help your lawn become and stay lush and green in the long run.
Quick Glance: The Best Lawn Fertilizer on the Market
Before deciding which lawn fertilizer is the best option for your grass, you need to understand the number system on the package. The combination of those numbers represents the NPK ratio of every fertilizer.
In general, every fertilizer is a mix of three primary nutrients:
- Nitrogen for foliar growth and color
- Phosphate for boosting the growth of flowers and roots
- Potassium for increasing the ability of grass to absorb nitrogen
The desirable NPK is marked like – 20-5-10. These numbers show the percentage of these three nutrients in the package, respectively.
There are a few tips which will help you to choose the best lawn fertilizer for your grass.
Organic Vs. Synthetic
This type of fertilizer contains organic plant food such as alfalfa, blood meal, or kelp. Since it takes longer to start working, organic fertilizers release slowly
- They are eco-friendly and give better effects in the long run
- There is a low possibility of over-fertilizing
- This type of fertilizer is quite expensive and pretty hard to apply
- It often attracts pests and bugs
Synthetic (inorganic, manufactured, or artificial) fertilizer
The fact is that some of the best lawn fertilizers on the market are synthetic.
- They are inexpensive and act quickly
- With them, you will get the exact ratio of necessary nutrients
- It can quickly over-fertilize your lawn or even become toxic
- Your soil has no benefits of this type of fertilizer
Controlled-Release Vs. Fast-Release Nitrogen Lawn Fertilizer
Controlled-release (polymer) nitrogen fertilizer
Since the nitrogen in this fertilizer is coated with the polymer during the process of manufacturing, the releasing of this nutrient is prolonged. In average, this process can last between two and twelve months after application.
- This type of fertilizer will provide uniform growth of your grass
- It probably won’t burn grass or disappear through the air or soil
- It is possible that nutrients won’t be available for your grass when needed
Fast-release (soluble) nitrogen fertilizer
This type of fertilizer releases nitrogen within one week and includes ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, calcium nitrate, urea, and stabilized urea.
- Greening of your lawn is visible right away
- It is a quite inexpensive type of fertilizer
- It may burn your grass or cause its undesirable excessive growth
- You need to count on losses through both the air and soil
Granular Vs. Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
Since it is a slow-release type of fertilizer, you can apply it less often. That will reduce the possibility of damaging your lawn.
- You can apply it in the dry and hot season
- There is no need for frequent application
- You need to wait for a more extended period to notice positive results
- The pH of the soil can adversely affect the effectiveness of this fertilizer
You can find this type of fertilizer as a water-soluble powder or concentrate of synthetic chemicals which you can apply by a sprinkler or spray bottle. Since grass absorbs this fertilizer quickly, you will need to apply it again after every two to three weeks.
- They act fast and become available to grass almost immediately
- The application and handling are quick and easy
- If you don’t follow directions strictly, this type of fertilizer can cause grass damage
- It is a severe water polluter
The Best Lawn Fertilizer on the Market of 2022
1. Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Lawn Fertilizer (My Top Recommended)
If you look for fertilizer which contains mostly nitrogen for promoting the growth of lush, thick, and highly green grass, Milorganite 0636 organic nitrogen fertilizer is the right choice for you. The secret of this product is 4% iron it contains, which is added for a deeper green color of your grass.
Its NPK is 5-2-0, which means that this product doesn’t contain potassium. Therefore, avoid using it in the regions with regular droughts. Also, since this product doesn’t contain elements for growing a robust root system, you can use it only when your grass is already well-established.
This fertilizer meets all EPA’s quality standards and comes in plastic bags of 36 pounds (16.3 kg). Don’t be upset with its intense smell. It will die down after watering. Always keep in mind that it is an excellent organic fertilizer, entirely safe for your children and pets.
As a bonus, when you sprinkle this granular mix throughout your garden, you will get a repellant as well. It seems that bugs, bunnies, and deer don’t like that scent too.
- This fertilizer has 100 % organic formula
- Since it is flexible, you can use this product during the entire fertilizing season
- It is entirely safe for both your kids and your beloved pets
- This product includes 4% of iron for greener grass
- If you don’t dilute this fertilizer with enough water, it may burn your plants
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t smell pleasantly
- It doesn’t contain root growing elements
- This is quite expensive fertilizer
2. Miracle-Gro Lawn Fertilizer (Best Synthetic)
Even though many of us prefer organic fertilizers, sometimes we need to use a good synthetic one. If it is your case, it is better to pick out an excellent product such as Miracle-gro lawn food.
You can find it in a container of 5 pounds (2.3 kg), which is enough to cover approximately 4000 sq. ft. (372 m2) of your lawn. After applying this water-soluble fertilizer, it will absorb into the grass’ root quickly, and you can expect a fantastic result within a few days.
In fact, you can be sure that it will promote the growth of leaves, stems, and roots of your grass in the long run.
This fertilizer is formulated to provide a particular amount of valuable nutrients for your lawn if you add it once a month or at least once in six weeks. I can highly recommend it if you have a yard full of mature grass, which only needs a little encouragement to begin to grow healthy and lush.
Keep in mind that this product, like every other synthetic fertilizer, can burn your grass if you over-apply it. Therefore, you need to follow the directions carefully to reduce the risk of damaging the lawn.
- This product will help with promoting lush and green grass
- It is inexpensive, fast-acting, water-soluble fertilizer
- It is super easy to apply
- It will burn your grass if you miss precise mix
- This synthetic fertilizer is a high-pollutant product
- It is not safe for your pets
3. Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Fertilizer
When you are looking for an excellent natural fertilizer with ultimate NPK rating of 20-4-8, you should consider Extreme grass growth lawn booster. This top-notch product manufactured in the US is an excellent option for newer grass and entirely harmless for both your children and your pets at the same time.
It is natural and entirely non-toxic spray concentrate which will increase both vertical and lateral growth of your grass, no matter what type of it you have decided to grow.
With advanced formula which contains humic and fulvic acid, this fertilizer is a fantastic choice for new lawns. The level of phosphorous will encourage rooting. On the other hand, nitrogen and potassium will promote resistance of your grass to pests.
How long it will take for you to notice the first grass on your new lawn will depend mostly on the weather. When it is warm outside, you will see the early growth fast. If it is cold, you should count on slower growth of your grass. Anyway, you can expect to notice a healthier lawn after just a few days after applying this fertilizer.
- This fertilizer is an excellent option when you decide to start growing new grass
- It contains humic and fulvic acids which are excellent for boosting new lawns
- It is easy to use and give almost immediate visible results
- It also encourages resistance of your grass to pests
- This product is not the best option for some types of grass
- Its sprayer is poor quality and can break easily
4. Safer Brand 9333 Ringer Lawn Fertilizer
I really like Safer Brand 9333 ringer lawn fertilizer. It is a high-quality, odorless, organic product with plant-based nutrients and a 10-0-6 NPK ratio. The package of 25 pounds (11.3 kg) is big enough to cover about 5,000 sq. ft. (465 m2) and lead to fast greening of your grass.
As you can see, this product doesn’t contain phosphorus. Actually, it is a desirable option for fertilizers which are designed for grass with an entirely established root system.
Keep in mind that this mineral is environment-unfriendly and can jeopardize the quality of water. Therefore, this product is a perfect solution for your lawn, especially if you live in the State that restricts using fertilizers which contain phosphorus.
On the other hand, with this product, you will get plenty of valuable nitrogen, which will make your grass lush and green, and enough potassium, which will help your lawn to establish a healthy root system.
All in all, if you prefer an organic but odorless product and want your grass grows fast, this fertilizer is made for you. Spread it throughout your lawn and check the level of its transformation after four to five days.
- It is an organic, odorless, and fast-acting fertilizer
- This product is entirely plant-based and doesn’t contain animal waste
- It is safe for your pets
- This product is quite expensive
5. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer
Scotts turf builder lawn food is a synthetic fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 32-0-4. You can cover approximately 5,000 sq. ft. (465 m2) with one package of this product. It is an excellent choice since it will feed and strengthen your grass, and help it build strong, branched, and deep roots.
It is definitely a fertilizer of choice if you need to build stronger grass’ roots, reduce necessary watering, or revive your neglected or damaged lawn.
Also, you can use this product as an excellent option for feeding both warm-weather and cool-weather grasses. The only thing you should take care of is to determine the appropriate time for this action in the region you live in.
Since this fertilizer contains a high level of nitrogen, you can expect to see first results quickly. However, you should be careful because this product can burn your grass if you apply it too often.
On the other hand, you should avoid adding it throughout a newly planted lawn since it doesn’t contain phosphorus.
- This inexpensive, eco-friendly product doesn’t contain phosphorus
- You can use it regardless of weather conditions and grass types
- It will build your lawn and help it to deal with any possible problems in the future
- It fights weeds more effectively than the competition
- It is not a desirable option for dormant grasses
- It can’t be used without a fertilizer spreader
- It may burn your grass
6. Espoma Elf20 Organic All Season Lawn Fertilizer
With an 18-0-3 formula, Espoma Elf20 organic all season lawn food is an excellent all season food for your lawn. This organic product is entirely safe for your kids and pets. Plus, it will help your grass become green rapidly and stay nourished for a long time.
The package of 20 pounds (9 kg) is enough for fertilizing approximately 5,000 sq. ft. (465 kg). The best way to get a desirable result is to add these blue pellets on the top of your lawn and let them penetrate into the ground slowly while watering it.
This fertilizer, like most organic products, won’t act instantly, and you need to wait a couple of weeks to see first results. However, once it gets deep into the soil, it will help the roots of your grass grow strong and become well-established. At the same time, the grass will be thick, lush, and green.
The best thing is that this organic fertilizer won’t burn your lawn even if you add more than it is recommended. Plus, you don’t need to worry about poisoning the water runoff since it doesn’t contain phosphorus.
- By using this fertilizer, you will get long-lasting results
- You can use it in any season
- It is entirely safe for your pets
- This product is quite expensive
- It can’t help new roots to grow
7. GreenView Fall Lawn Fertilizer
As an enhanced and highly efficient fertilizer without phosphate, GreenView fall lawn food can promote the fast growth of your grass in early spring. Choose this fertilizer if you have already had a well-established lawn which needs some encouragement to stay healthy and thick.
Also, this fantastic product will promote the absorption of the valuable nutrient and consequently help the growth of your grass’ roots.
It is specially formulated for adding to your lawn in the period of late autumn. The goal is to boost the root system of your grass and keep it safe from the cold weather during winter. This type of late-fall lawn food is essential for lawns in the areas with a longer period of grass’ dormancy.
This product contains a lot of valuable nutrients such as nitrogen and potassium, which are necessary during a period when your grass can’t get enough sun and food from the soil. These extra nutrients will help the lawn recover from drought throughout the hot summer.
- This fertilizer is rich in nitrogen and doesn’t contain phosphate
- It will retain water and feed your lawn for an extended period
- It is excellent in promoting the growth of your grass in early spring
- You can purchase it at affordable price
- You shouldn’t use this fertilizer if your lawn is overstressed
- It probably won’t work well in dry regions
If you need the best lawn fertilizer for the well-established lawn, which meets all EPA’s quality standards, I highly recommend Milorganite 0636 organic nitrogen fertilizer. With 4% iron and nitrogen it contains, this product will promote the lush, thick, and highly green growth of your grass.
One of the crucial things is that this excellent organic fertilizer is entirely safe for your children and pets. Not to mention that repellant properties of this product will keep bugs, bunnies, and deer far away from your yard. If you are looking after the best, you can be sure that this product is the right thing for you.